Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rookie Draft
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road
Default 2.13 WR Derrick Hamilton - San Francisco

Circa 1995: J.J. Stokes 1st round pick #10 overall. Why do I bring him up? Because there was much hoopla about how Stokes would become the next great SF WR to learn under HOFer Jerry Rice. He had greatness written all over him coming out of UCLA. He was big and strong, a great WCO WR.

One year later the Niners drafted a little known player in the 3rd round WR out of Tenn-Chattanooga even though they already had the next great thing in Stokes. Fast-forward 8 years later. Stokes is out of the league (I think) after an incredibly disappointing career in SF. He was semi-productive but barely and only as a 3rd WR. Meanwhile TO burst onto the scene and became a dominant force in the NFL. He broke out in his 3rd year with 14 TDs and caught an amazing game winning catch vs. Green Bay in the playoffs. He made multiple pro-bowls and is commonly considered along with Moss and Harrison as the top WRs in the game.

Well now we have a situation in SF where there is no clear #1 WR after TO was traded to Philly. The Niners draft another hyped 1st round WR, Rashaun Woods. They also draft Derrick Hamilton, a young playmaker from Clemson who entered the draft after his junior year. Some say Hamilton may end up being the better receiver. It’s hard to imagine. But not many pundits could have imagined how Stokes and Owens ended up.

Drafting two WR from the same team may seem questionable but in today’s NFL sucky teams can rebound quickly. A lot of people are down on the Niners because of all the free agent losses and inexperience on the offensive side of the ball. But someone will emerge, be it Lloyd, Woods, Hamilton, or one of the other young WRs on the roster. I now feel like I have a great chance to get the #1 WR in SF for the near future. Worse case, both these players bust. Best case I get the #1 and #2 WR in SF. Most likely case, one of these players will pan out and produce. Right now everything points to Woods being the guy but looking back in 1996 I’m sure a lot of people would have thought the same about Stokes.
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2.13 WR Derrick Hamilton - San Francisco

A very solid choice. The reason I stayed away was what you mentioned (2 WR's from the same team) but you never know. I think he may need some time to develop but he definately has potential.
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote