Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rookie Draft
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default 1.3 RB Tatum Bell - Denver

Thanks Dodgers! You gave me the guy that IMO has the most potential to be boom or bust.

When I moved up to 1.3 Bell was my target, but I figured since you were still in a rebuilding mode you'd be patient enough for Bell's potential payoff.

Tatum is a very similar back to Portis (and is even going to wear his #26;)), a one-cut back with speed. I have some concerns about the o-line losing one of the best coaches in the game to Atlanta, and you have to think that Shanny's gonna miss on a RB eventually, so there is certainly some risk here, but this game is all about taking chances.

I'll gamble that Shanny's judgement on RB talent is better than mine, and will patiently give Tatum a year or two to develop on the DS.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1.3 RB Tatum Bell - Denver

Got to admit I am a little surprised here though I can definitely see your thought process in terms of the time with the DS.
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road

I'd agree Bell has tremendous boom/bust potential. I don't think his chances of booming as as good as they are busting. I think the loss of the O-line coach is going to hurt. I just read they are moving (can't think of his name now, backup tight end) to tackle. That doesn't tell me that the Denver line depth is great. I've also read Bell can't run in the middle of the line, and in traffic, near as well as Portis did. Bell may be the same kind of back as Portis, he just isn't near as good.

Also, I think there are few things in the NFL as overblown as Shany's ability to draft RBs (I think I had this debate with Jake after he took Griffin). Can you tell me what these guys have in common: Detron Smith, L.T. Levine, Curtis Alexander, Chris Howard? They represent every running back selected by Denver between Terrell Davis (1995) and Olandis Gary (1999). Olandis Gary hasn't been able to see the field after leaving Denver. Mike Anderson hasn't shown anything since his rookie year, and couldn't keep the job from a one legged Terrell Davis. Obviously we have yet to see what Portis can do outside of Denver (though it sure looks to be better than any of the others). Denver produces rushing yards due to their system, not the talent of the individual running backs, in my opinion. For me, the only reason to draft Bell is on the hopes he wins the starting job, not because I think he is all that talented. J.Jones has no competition to start this year, AND is playing for a coach that loves to run the ball. Bell only has one of those going for me.

For me, it was an easy decision.
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

All solid points Brian, but I'm willing to gamble that the system will produce yet another great runner.

To win big, sometimes you have to gamble big. If it pays off I may end up with the best RB in this class (from a production standpoint)... if he busts I gave up a RB in the last year of a contract, a TE and the #18 pick. I think it was a risk worth taking based on what it cost me, and am stoked to place Tatum on my DS.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds
To win big, sometimes you have to gamble big. If it pays off I may end up with the best RB in this class (from a production standpoint)... if he busts I gave up a RB in the last year of a contract, a TE and the #18 pick. I think it was a risk worth taking based on what it cost me, and am stoked to place Tatum on my DS.
Very true. Fortunately for you, you are in a situation where you can make that gamble and sit on the results. I could have gone with Bell or Jackson and done some long term rebuilding. I'd rather be in a better position to be competitive this year. Hopefully they both work out for us (well, I'd rather Bell be mired in a RBBC for his entire career, but there's no point in talking trash this early).
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #6
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road

One thing to remember is that Bell is Shanny's highest drafted RB ever. That must mean something. Anyway, Bell is certainly a boom or bust pick. I had Julius rated a little higher than Bell on my board. I think Parcells is going to get good production from Jones but Bell certainly intrigues me. His upside is enormous.

So far no big surprises in the draft.
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote