Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rookie Draft
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 27th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road
Default Draft Summary- Not official just what I have recorded

Philadelphia Freedom: Charles Rogers, Byron Leftwich, Bennie Joppru, Brandon Lloyd
Rabid Llamas: Willis Maghee, Anquan Boldin, Chris Simms, Artose Pinner
Urza's Ragers: Larry Johnson, Tyrone Calico
Jersey Toxic Waste: Taylor Jacobs, Lee Suggs, Vinnie Shiancoe, Brock Forsey
Parkwood Predators: Andre Johnson, Onterio Smith, LJ Smith, Dallas Clark, Avon Colburne
Bay Area Bloodsucking Insects: Justin Fargas, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
Nittany Dodgers: Bryant Johnson, Brian St. Pierre, Nate Burleson
Wonder Mutts: Chris Brown, Quentin Griffin
Hudson Valley Undead: Musa Smith, Billy McMullen, Malaefou Mackenzie
Royal Hawaiian Opihi: Carson Palmer, Jason Witten, LaBrandon Toefield
Detriot Wyverns: Kevin Curtis, Teyo Johnson, Kelly Washington

Questions to consider and answer if you feel like it:

Who had the best draft?

Who had the worst draft?

Who were you hoping to get (and did)?

Who were you hoping to get (and didn’t)?

Biggest sleeper?

Biggest reach?

Best value?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Philadelphia Freedom; May 27th, 2003 at 04:02 PM.
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #2
Jersey
NF-FFL

Jersey is on a distinguished road

These threads are always started by the guys who think they had the best draft.......With saying that....I'll go with the team I beat last year for that beautiful trophy spinning in all it's glory. Just based on pure numbers and talent I think with 5 quality picks...Parkwood did the best job....now....where is he gonna find room on his roster to keep them all....that's the big question.
Urza did a heck of a job with 2 picks.....Johnson will be a stud and Calico looks to be a nice big WR for the future
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Urza's Ragers
Feeding Frenzy

Urza's Ragers is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but I wish I had Calico. That pick was traded.
Urza's Ragers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #4
Jersey
NF-FFL

oops..well.....you can't win em all......what the heck were you thinking trading that pick away....
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Draft Summary

Who had the best draft?

Hard to choose, I like a lot of the drafts (some more than mine ). The one that stand out to me are the Freedom (surprise surprise with 2 of the top 4 picks).

Who had the worst draft?

Me? If I had to pick another team I'd go with Detroit. Not because I think any of those were bad picks, most went where I predicited, but none of those guys really excite me.

Nate Burelson in the 3rd. He'll have a shot to compete for the #2 either this year or next. If he wins it, he'll be a bargain producer, something I desperately need at WR.

Larry Johnson, though I didn't exactly make a hard charge to move up to get him. Mike also stole Dallas Clark out from under me.

Biggest sleeper?

The Avon lady would be high on the list for me. I didn't pay much attention to the undrafted free agents, after paying too much attention to them last year, so I didn't know anything about him.

Biggest reach?

Other than Quentoin Griffin? I think Rex Grossman was a reach, personally because I think he's overrated. I had both Simms and St. Pierre ahead of him on the big board.

Best value?

Dallas Clark should be a steal at 150.

Edited because I didn't look closely enough to know that Urza didn't actually get Calico.

Last edited by Nittany Dodgers; May 27th, 2003 at 04:14 PM.
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Correction: The Opihi didn't get Whitten... we picked WR Kelley Washington, CIN...
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #7
Mutts
General Member

Mutts is on a distinguished road

You're selling me short Opihi! The Mutts drafted:

Chris Brown, Tyrone Calico, Quentin Griffin, Jason Witten

Not bad, if I do say so myself! :smoke
Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #8
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road

Who had the worst draft?

I'd have to go with me. Having no draft picks usually makes this choice alot easier.
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
You're selling me short Opihi!
Um... not really sure how my correction of the Freedoms' post on draft picks "sells you short." But if it makes you feel better about your draft, more power to ya!
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #10
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

Flaxwless is on a distinguished road

Who had the best draft?

Aside from Philly, who had two of the Top 4 choices, I'd have to say I'm digging the WonderMutts draft. You guys don't know how close I was to drafting Chris Brown until my homerism compelled me to erase Brown's name from the subject line and enter Fargas. Aside from Brown he drafted a potential stud WR and TE and picked up an RB that could be huge if Portis is injured (Please don't happen). A lot of players that I wouldn't mind having on my team.

Who had the worst draft?

I'd have to think I'd have to pick the Dodgers. Johnson could have been gotten in the 2nd (maybe he couldn't trade down) and I don't like Pierre. However I think Burelson was a great pick in the 3rd.

All of my picks (Fargas, Boller, and Grossman) are players I liked and had slotted at getting at their draft positions. So it worked out well!

Aside from Leftwhich who I made no play for. I'd have to say Chris Brown. At 1.6 I was about to select Brown but opted to select Fargas because I thought Brown would have a better chance of slipping to me at 1.9. But after talking to some owners if I had selected Brown first I may have Brown and Fargas instead of Fargas and Boller. Oh well I have Brown and Fargas rated near the same and I love Boller. Happy to come away with my (LJ, Fargas, Brown) 2rd Rated RB and 2nd Rated QB with picks 1.6 and 1.9.

Biggest sleeper?

I'm thinking Kelly Washington at 3.1 is a great pick. For a starting salary of 320 he should out play his salary in two years, maybe even this one.

Biggest reach?

Gotta say Quentin Griffen. I might have picked him with 2.6 had he been there but that's only because I didn't have a 3rd rounder. High second round is too steep a price for an RB playing behind a young stud.

Best value?

LJ Smith. The league minimum for a player that will play far above that. But I have Jolley, who's cheaper, so who cares?

Any other thoughts?

This draft was a pretty good one. Some reaches. Some suprises and lots of picks trading hands. Suprised to see that the teams w/ Two 1st Rounders (Philly, Parkwood, and Myself) kept the picks and I must say made solid picks with each of them. The best value as most know though as in the Second and Third rounds. Lots of potential that everyone was sacred to invest 1st round money on but that may payoff in the long run. We'll see. Just great to start the season!

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
- 2nd Worst to First in Year!
2011 SAC'D Champions
- #5 seed, # 2 power rankings, #1 in the end!
Flaxwless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #11
Mutts
General Member

Oops... I meant to type "Freedom". Sorry.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:07 AM   #12
Mutts
General Member

Who had the best draft?

I have to say the Llamas. If McGahee regains half the form he showed before the injury, he's going to be a stud. I thought Boldin was a bit of a reach at the time, but news coming out of camp is good, he has the talent, and Bryant Johnson is too slow to be the flashy playmaker on the team. Chris Simms is a solid pick, and will pay off big time... sooner than later I think. Artose Pinner was the other player I was looking at when selecting Griffin. If his ankle regains strength, I think he's in a lightning/flash combo with Avon at the worst... at the best the Llamas landed a stud with their 4th pick.

Who had the worst draft?

I'll bow out of this and agree that BDSC had the worst draft, having no picks in what I think is a great year for talent.

Tyrone Calico. That is why I traded a second round next year to Mike for another 2nd round pick. If I wouldn't have picked up the extra selection, I would have been forced to take a RB at 2.3. As it was, I could take Calico and know that Suggs, Griffin, or Pinner would be available at 2.5. The way I look at it, Griffin isn't a risk at all. He sits on the DS and his salary is irrelevant as it stays the same year after year. A RB has to become a stud to be really valuable anyway. If he becomes a stud he comes off the DS and is still carrying a salary less than $1000, which is a bargain. I think the changes to the DS really make the draft more about the player and less about the position in which they are drafted.

This one is easy: Seneca Wallace I really wanted another 3rd round pick so I could stash Seneca on the DS for 3 years or so. I simply don't believe that Hasselback will ever be anything more than average... and I believe Seneca could be special.

Biggest sleeper?

I like Cobourne's potential and situation, but he's not much of a sleeper in the Frenzy anymore it seems. Billy McMullen could end up being a solid #2 fantasy receiver for years to come... at a real bargain rate.

Biggest reach?

I've got to mention Bryant Johnson again. I watched him play a few times in the Big Ten. Johnson surprised me sometimes watching him in person with his lack of speed. I think Keyshawn Johnson numbers are his ceiling.

Best value?

The best value might have come in the first pick of the draft. Its hard to imagine limits on Charles Rogers success. I think he is the best WR talent to ever come out of college, and the Freedom may be paying a first year salary of $800 to a player worth at least $2000.
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #13
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road

Since I posted it I will respond to my own questions (it like a full conversation with the many voices in my head). BTW, I apologize if I gave some people the wrong players in my original list. That being said:

Who had the best draft?

I really liked my mine (hard not to with 2 of the Top 4 picks, sucking has it priveleges) but the Llamas also seemed to grab some quality. Maghee would have been the clear cut number 1 in this RB heavy league, if he was healthy and I think Simms will learn from Gruden and become a pretty good player in a couple of years.

Who had the worst draft?

Squirrel Chasers win by default since they had no picks this year.

In my mind Rogers and Leftwich were guys that I really wanted and the more I looked a Lloyd the more convinced I was that he could be a player in a year or two.

LJ Smith or Teyo Johnson were both TE’s that I really was hoping would fall and provide solid depth behind Shockey. Coluburne was someone who I though might fall through after going undrafted but Mike grabbed him a spot ahead of me.

Biggest sleeper?

Avon Colburne. In the muddy Lions backfield this guy could emerge as a real strong option. I had a chance to see a number of his games (on TV) and he always seemed to be able to get the job done.

Biggest reach?

As a PSU fan it pains me to say this but Bryant Johnson. Not necessarily a bad pick in my mind but someone who might have been available 5 to 7 picks later.

Best value?

LJ Smith is a low cost option going to a team that really wanted him. In fact the pre-draft talk here in Philly had them grabbing him at 1.30 but then they moved up for a DE. Either way they are going to be looking to get him involved in the offense and he should be a producer.

Any other thoughts?

I think this was a tough draft because of the lack of depth at RB. No player was drafted to jump into the lead spot on the depth chart at RB and actually there were very players picked that will be starters on the first weekend of the season unless injuries hit.
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #14
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Wonder Mutts
Biggest reach?

I've got to mention Bryant Johnson again. I watched him play a few times in the Big Ten. Johnson surprised me sometimes watching him in person with his lack of speed. I think Keyshawn Johnson numbers are his ceiling.
If he has Keyshawn Johnson numbers, I'll be thrilled. I won't disagree that Bryant is one of the bigger reaches in the draft (I won't agree he was the biggest). But hey, this league is for fun, right? In all my years of fantasy football, the worst years are not when you do bad, but when you have no one on your team to pull for. I've got a Penn Stater I can stash away and root for for a couple of years and see if he develops. I'd rather do that than take a rookie running back for a team I dont like and I'm not sold that he's the future of the team.

Again though, even I don't think he's going to put up Keyshawn Johnson numbers, mediocre as they are for a premeire WR, and if he does it will just be gravy.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #15
RABID LLAMAS

What do you get when you mix someone who doesn't watch college ball with questions about a rookie draft? Can't….avoid….4th grade….humor……

Who had the best draft?

Ragers, Predators, Dodgers, Wyvrns. With Larry, Andre, Bryant and Teyo, they appear to have drafted the most Johnson.

Who had the worst draft?

Dodgers. With all that’s going on in the world they draft a dude named St. Pierre? Well, I guess he'll be useful if you use him to take a knee or fair catch.

Hands down, Phil's kid.

Lee Suggs. Would have loved to see him and McGahee in the trainer's room boozing it up all year.

Biggest sleeper?

Avon seems to be getting the press here and FBG certainly liked him, so kudos on that pick. BUT… I just have to question why no team drafted him if he's the next Barry Sanders? Also, when Barry played, weren't there like 4 lineman in the league who weighed 300+ pounds and couldn't move. Now there are four 300 pounders per team who run like the wind. I mean, if I'm a 300+ pound lineman and I see someone 5'7' coming my way… we're talking bug on the windshield type of hits. Frankly, I hope I see him Thankgiving Day, and, knowing 10 owners are collective cheering, crack a simle as they peel him off of Gilbert Brown's jersey.

Biggest reach?

Tyrone Calico - I haven't been excited about an Oiler/Titan WR since Haywood Jeffires. Plus it's going to be really hard for McNair to throw a pass with handcuffs.

Best value?

LaBrandon Toefield. With glowing reviews like "Fragile Freddy meet your match", "appears to be made of glass", "very bad luck with injuries", "needs to improve upper body strength which isn't impressive", "never really dominated at college level", this guy sounds like an IR candidate, thereby allowing the Opihi to claim another player and make this a "two for the price of one" selection. Very clever of them indeed.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #16
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Llamas!
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #17
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally posted by RABID LLAMAS
Who had the worst draft?

Dodgers. With all that’s going on in the world they draft a dude named St. Pierre? Well, I guess he'll be useful if you use him to take a knee or fair catch.
The Dodgers are happy to annouce that Brian has officially changed his name. He has droppped the "re" at the end of his last name, and shall henceforth be known as Brian St. Pier, with German pronunciation.

Good stuff Llamas.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #18
Ypsilanti Undead
Feeding Frenzy

Ypsilanti Undead is on a distinguished road

I have another question to add to the mix:

What player surprised you by not being drafted?

The two players I was this close to taking in the 3rd round: WR Talman Gardner (I would have taken him if he'd been picked by any team but the Saints; but that headcase going to a team with a history of discipline problems is a disaster waiting to happen), and QB Seneca Wallace (I'm just not confident he's gonna make it at his position).
Ypsilanti Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #19
Jersey
NF-FFL

Thanks, Now I know what UFA rookies to go after.
It's so great when we open up and share.;)
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #20
Ypsilanti Undead
Feeding Frenzy

Ypsilanti Undead is on a distinguished road

Hey, if you think they're worth putting on the active roster, be my guest!
Ypsilanti Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #21
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
With all that’s going on in the world they draft a dude named St. Pierre? Well, I guess he'll be useful if you use him to take a knee or fair catch.
(Can't stop laughing!)
Old June 5th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #22
TygeB
General Member

TygeB is on a distinguished road

the team I took over certainly had a bad draft....

just bad all together...bad, bad, bad
TygeB is offline   Reply With Quote